Thursday, September 9, 2010

Look What I Can Do!

Okay - so I can't do it all by myself. There was some significant help from the husband department and even a little from Todd, I believe (although all I saw him do was sit and watch Michael work...I'm just sayin'.)

I needed a nightstand for the middle bedroom, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy something that wasn't going to last. However, I also did not want to spend a lot of money. That leaves a girl with one option - refurb!

So Michael went with me and we waded through a ton of truly nasty resale shops on Burnet road. Then we found one that didn't reek and bought this nightstand on the recommendation of the ten year old volunteer salesgirl who guaranteed us that it would be a really nice piece with a fresh coat of paint.



We had one week before company, so that's how long this project was allowed to take. First, Michael (and maybe Todd) sanded the old, nasty yellow paint off.



Then I primed it. I used the garage as my workshop. That's why there are garbage cans in some of my pictures.



I was totally smiling like that the whole time I worked, too. Then I painted it white.



Then I filled in some details with a tan that matched the bedding I picked out. Ta Da!



Turns out the ten year old salesgirl was right.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! It looks so good! I'm attempting to reupholster a desk chair this weekend, and I think I'm going to write about it for my first blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay!! Send me a link to it when you get it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, now that it has a color associated with it, you should not refer to the rooms as the front room and the middle room. Instead, you should call them the Blue Room and the Tan Room, or the Cream Room. I just think that sounds nicer. Who wants to stay in the middle room? But lots of people want to stay in the Cream Room! Sounds yummy! And the Blue Room sounds like maybe Picasso spent his Blue Period in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should call the front room "The Parents Room" and the middle room "The Grandmother M Suite"

    ... but that's just me

    ReplyDelete