Sunday, December 8, 2013

Girl, Is My Weave Showin'?

I'm not proud that I quote the movie Joe Dirt fairly often. It's actually just one line that stuck with me for some reason. Joe is trying to tell some gate guard that his name is pronounced "Deer-tay," and the guard tells him, "Don't try to church it up, son!"

I say that all the time. (And I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who gets a kick out of it!) But I think Shandi, founder of BabeHair Bootcamp, and my own stylist here in Austin would probably like that line, too!

I pretended to be working today, but actually, I just went and had so much fun with a bunch of gorgeous girls at BabeHair Bootcamp! (If I strap on a camera, that's work, right?!)

And let me tell you. Things got real real. Real quick.

Shandi - gorgeous, petite, charming, little Shandi, started off the event by pullin' out her weave right there in front of Gawd and ever'body.

"You can't call it extensions," she told a room full of women as she yanked out half of her hair. "It's weave. Everybody knows it!"



Most women who wear a weave would neeever even admit it, much less show it to a room full of people! But Shandi is utterly honest with her attendees about all her beauty secrets, from how she curls her hair, to how she gets that perfect arch in her brows. (Botox!)

Mostly BabeHair is about learning how to get that perfect curl, that cute up-do and the (surprisingly few) products you need to achieve those looks. Don't worry! There was nary a BumpIt to be found! I honestly think Shandi's methods are probably easier than trying to get one of those things to sit straight on your head anyway! 


First she shows you on her own pretty little head. 


And then she invites a pretty little head up from the audience to try it out and show everybody that it's easy even if you're not a professional!

One of my favorite parts was when she showed us how to do the kind of half up, half down do that you might wear to work. Then she took it and made one of those perfectly imperfect ponytails out of it. But wait! She's not done! Then made a cute little bun out of the whole thing, and voila! Her attendee model was ready to go to a wedding!


But even though BabeHair is a lot about looking pretty, Shandi makes sure that everybody who attends knows that this stuff is really just "for fun."

She tells her babes that this is the 'kid in a candy shop stuff.' "Don't ever think that you're going to get the guy, or the job or the interview just because of something like extensions. You're beautiful and amazing just like you are," she says.

Some of her tips can be found online at http://www.shandinichelle.com/, but for the whole thing, you'll want to like her Facebook page so you'll know when the next BabeHair tour is happening!

God Bless Y'all, Babes!




No comments:

Post a Comment