Monday, December 6, 2010

Tradition!! Austin Style

Christmas trees, candy canes, elves and South Congress! That's what Austin Christmases are made of.

Michael and I have only been married for four years, so we don't have many traditions, but we're trying some Christmas traditions out. Our first Christmas, in the apartment in the '44, we had a fake tree and Elf happened to be playing back to back on TBS. I don't know why, but it took two showings of Elf for us to get done decorating. It's the best Christmas movie, so watching Elf while we decorate became our first tradition.

Then the next year, we were in our house and we bought a real tree. We've bought it every year since at the same tree lot around the corner.




Yeah, we're wearing t-shirts. It was, like, almost 80 degrees. That's what you get in Texas.

It's a cute lot and they helped us tie our tree to the top of our car. But we get about half way home, and just about lost our tree! It started sliding and we pulled over and tried to get it a little more secure, but I held the rope the rest of the way to the house just in case. We made it there with no further incident.

Then came South Congress! It was very different than your normal Christmas shopping. We didn't actually find what we were looking for, but we did find Big Top.




We got some really good Italian Sodas. The place was crowded, so we didn't hang out very long, but it's sooo cute! I'd go back.

And then...well we were already sooo close to Allen's, Michael found a spot to sit while I tried on cowgirl boots. I found some that I love, but visiting them will probably become a Christmas tradition, since I'm fairly certain I will not be getting them any time soon. I have expensive taste in boots, apparently.

Michael took this picture:



Then home to decorate the tree! We watched Elf and wrapped lights and hung ornaments.





It's a good tradtion.

2 comments:

  1. I love Big Top....I usually get a strawberry, wedding cake italian soda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I didn't know adding wedding cake was an option!

    ReplyDelete