Sunday, April 24, 2011

It Looks Good...

...and I put a lot of work into it. It's a chocolate pie. With a homemade crust (the Pioneer Woman's recipe) and homemade filling (the Belle Jim's recipe) and a homemade meringue (Barefoot Contessa's recipe).



The crust was good just like always, and the filling is really good (even though I forgot the butter and vanilla). And the meringue tasted great before I put it on the pie. It tasted like marshmallows. But then I put it on the pie, baked it and served it up.

And it tasted like salt.

I have no idea how that happened. I don't know what would have changed the taste. But I will not be taking the second one to work tomorrow. Does anyone know how to make a good meringue?

4 comments:

  1. Aw. Sad.
    I couldn't find a reason for it, but you're not the only person it's happened to, apparently: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=298853. Misery loves company, so maybe that will help, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say Cool Whip's the way to! It never fails. But I bet Georgia could tell you how to make a great meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, Sue Fikes makes a beautiful meringue. I don't think I've eaten any of her pies. But I've seen a lot of them and they are beautiful. She could definately tell you how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sure are you that it tasted like salt? At book club last night, the hostess made banana pudding cheese cake, and it had meringue on top. It didn't taste salty, really, but it didn't taste sweet, either. Not like it looks, you know? Are you sure you weren't just expecting it to taste different?

    ReplyDelete