Tuesday, July 31, 2012

JifferDoodle Hooked on KOKE ... FM, that is.

It's true! There are not a whole lot of things that can make me laugh while I'm driving through downtown at 7:30 every morning, but Bob making a sound like a turkey who has met with a particularly large Texas mosquito might just be enough. 

Actually I'm laughing right now just thinking about it.

So the good folks at the new (sort-of)  KOKE FM radio heard about what an amazing photographer I am, and how enthusiastic a worker I am and how I'm a great bargain...like for reals a great bargain.

That they heard all of this from me doesn't seem like an important piece of information, right? 

No matter who they heard it from, we set up a day for me to come and photograph them doin' what they do. 

Okay, here's the story. Me and Michael used to listen to Bob's radio show. Meet Bob: 


He looks like a fun guy, right? It's true, he's delightful. 

But months passed. No Bob. We didn't know where he'd gone. Coulda been anywhere. 

Turns out, he went to North Austin and bought himself a little radio station with some friends.

Meet Bob's friends: 

First there's Jason. 

He's a lawyer...but I think you'd like him anyways. He often embraces opportunities to embarass his friends, but in a charming sort of way. He sits in the middle. That's probably indicative of some sort of prestige, right? Probably.

We've also got Scott: 

He lies about knowing how to run a Facebook page. Nah - that's too harsh. Learning as he goes...yeaaaah. Let's go with that. You'd like him, too. Nice smile.

If you live in Austin, you probably know the next face:


It's Mr. Troy Kimmel. He actually gets the weather right sometimes. I mean, most days it's gonna be hot and sunny here. But I remember one time he said it was gonna rain...and it did. Mad skillz.

Then we have the lady of the group, Ms. Andi. 

She claims the boys didn't warn here there would be a photographer in the studio that morning, but I'm gonna tell you right now I wouldn't look anywhere close to that cute getting up as early as she has to! Plus, she's the only girl on the show. She looks petite, but she's clearly a tough lady. 

And lastly, there is Eric:
He seems to be the brains behind the operation. I mean, look at all those buttons. I have no idea if they're hooked up to anything, but he was sliding them around and stuff...looked impressive.

They just started broadcasting a few weeks ago. They're still getting things figured out, but it's fun to listen to them work it out. 

They talk about actual news (local and national), and Texas music and the size of Bob's biceps. 



Their conversations roam all over the place every morning, as do the many faces of Bob: 

 But even with all the variety, they almost never talk about Britney Spears, which I really appreciate. 

In addition to not talking about Britney Spears, they never play Britney Spears. They play stuff like Guy Clark, and Randy Rogers Band, and Armadillo Road and Willie Nelson. It's good times, their music format. I hear songs every day that I've never heard before. Now, seriously, what other radio station can you say that about? 

But you don't have to take my word for it! Locals can listen at 99.3 and 98.5 FM. But even my Russian readers can listen to KOKE FM, 'cause you can go to their website and click the Listen Live button. If you turn that on and then look at these last few photos, you'll feel like you're in the studio with them. 












 Awwww, KOKE, I'm glad you're on the air! And I'm glad you need cheap labor right now!



See y'all next time!

1 comment:

  1. I would appreciate a Britany Spears-free morning! And they look like a fun crowd. Next time I'm in Russia, I'll listen.

    ReplyDelete